Tourism Places In jalore
Best Time : October To March
jalore Situated on the southern edge of the vast sandy plain of Marwar, is a delightful city of jalore. It is a typical small Rajasthani town where the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities is missing. It is surrounded by Barmer on the North-West, Sirohi on the South-East, Pali on the North-East and Banaskantha district of Gujarat on the South-West. jalore lies south of Sukri River a tributary of Luni River and is about 121 km south of Jodhpur. The serene and unruffled surroundings make jalore a good place to experience the unspoiled and friendly atmosphere of rural Rajasthan. The city is also known as the 'Granite City' with hoards of shops dealing in granite.
Sundha Mata temple
At 1220 M height in the Aravli ranges there on Sundha mountain is temple of goddesses Chamunda Devi a very sacred place for devotees. This place lies in Raniwara Teshil in the midest of Malwara to Jaswantpura Road near Dantlawas village. Lacs of tourists from Gujarat and Rajasthan visits here. A very beautiful idol of goddesses Chamunda is present under the huge stone. Here Chamunda's head is worshipped. It is said that the trunk of mother Chamunda are established in Korta and legs in Sundarla Pal(jalore).
The main attraction of jalore is its fort, which was one of the 'nine castles of Maru', under the Parmaras in the 10th century. jalore retains an impressive fort which has been known over history as the Sonagir or the 'golden mount'. It commands the town from a rocky outcrop 336m (1,200 ft) high fortified with a wall and bastions with cannon mounted upon them. This elevation takes a good two hours to climb. The main approach to the fort is from the north, up a steep, slippery road through three rows of fortification to a single rampart wall 6.1m (20 ft) high.
The Main Poles or Fort Gateway
Built into the fort wall are pols or gateways. TheSuraj Po, Dhruv Pol, Bal Pol and the Siroh Pol are the mighty gateways that lead into this fortress. The Suraj pol or the sun gate from the town is so built that the first rays of the morning sun enter through this gateway. It is an impressive gate with a small watch tower built over it. The Dhruv pol is rather simple looking compared to Suraj pol.
The Stepwell Attractions of Fort
The mahal or the residential palace inside the fort is now desolated, and what is left of it are the ruined symmetrical walls with huge rock formations around it. Two considerable bauris including Jalar Bauri (step well), chatris (cenotaph), Charan Paluka and the Bhairon Dev Ki Chowki within the fort are the other structures that have survived the brunt of time.
Being the sacred groove of sage Jabali many saints came & meditated here. Pandawas spent some of there time here and king Bhruthhari. path leader Suanath and his disciples made it there home. There are many temples for Shiva & Shakti present here, out of which Sire Mandir Temple is famous for its natural beauty belief & austerity. West of jalore on Kalashachal Sire temple is situated on 646 m high. The road in front of Geetco Hotel leads directly towards the Kalashachal mountain. It is only 3 Km. away from town. While climbing the mountain,we may find Yogiraj Jalandhar Nath Ji.
Lohanagarh of Jaswantpura
70 Km. away from jalore, 40 Km. from Bhinmal and 50 Km. from Aburoad, Jaswantpura is the most greenous panchayat samiti area of jalore district. Situated in the valley of mountain its natural beauty is tremendous Temperature during summers remains comparatively Low. Formerly there was a big village named Lohiyana in this area where Lohiyana dynasty king lived. They had both army & fort. Once Maharana Pratap also took shelter in Lohiyana. That why Lohiyana king was called Rana as it was under mewar suzerainty. Afterwards due to economic disruptions king Rana salji Dewal became a dacoit his army kept dacoiting in Marwar province. Hence Jodhpur king Jaswant Singh attacked Lohiyana in 1883 A.D. and ravaged it and destroyed fort also. By his name town named Jaswantpura was settled. To rest during winter he built one rest house in mountains. This building is now left uncared, today also it is the private property of descendants of royal family of Jodhpur. During Riyasat time hukumat headquater was established here. After independence Tehsil was established then it was transferred to Bhinmal. This area is rich in wild life. Tigers,boars,bears, monkeys etc strays into nearby villages so many times.
One of the most important structures within the fort is the Topekhana or the cannon foundry. The building is not in the best of conditions now, but the telling architecture indicates that this structure must have been awesome in the old days. The colonnade and the ceiling are tastefully carved.
Fort of Kot Kasta
65 Km. away from headquater jalore and 20 Km from Sub Division Bhinmal this place kot kasta was once two villages named Kot & Kastha now known as unified Kot Kasta. In 1804 A.D. Mansingh ascended throne of Jodhpur and made Ayas Devnath his Guru. During Mansingh time influence of Yogis of nath community increased a lot. He also gave many Jagirs of Naths. Yogi Bheemnath was also given jagir near village Kasta. He was famous by the name Bheemnathji Maharaj on a hereby mountain one small fort was made surrounded it with defensive wall. In building this wall mountain was also used as wall. Outside this fort boundary wall one big wall was also made, to enter those two big and two small gates were made. In this way nearby Kasta a village named Kot settled here. Village inside fort boundary wall was called Kot and outside it Kasta and jointly come to be known as Kot Kasta. Nearly 200 years old this Naths fort consists of there storeyed palace rampart, tower and huge entry gate and many other construction could be found. From the twilight of sum fort could be seen from quiet a distance. Though small in size it is though beautiful and strong. In defensive walls there are place lift for firing artillery and gunfire. Being situated on mountain top artillery might have been huge success. In the valley of mountain there is flat ground and on the other side there being route of rainy river named Kapal Ganga it is not possible to attack it instantly. On both sides of village walls its huge gates can be seen still today. Out of them condition of one is comparatively good this gate was used as main entry point to the village. By entering it and taking raw road towards mountain one could reach the huge gate of fort limit. A stone could be seen half buried in the earth while moving ahead on the left side have on it a horse engraved with an umbrella on its back. From moving here onwards the stairs of the gate comes. Right side stairs leads directly towards main gate. On both sides of gate huge platforms are built. It is not easy to decipher one of the stone inscriptions struck on right rostrum.
Fort of Bhadrajun
54 Km. away from district headquarter Bhadrajun is settled on jalore-Jodhpur road. It gets it name from Subhadra and his husband Mahabhart brave hero Arjun. Subhadra-Arjun in time lag disrupted to Bhadrajun. It is said that where on the permission of Lord Shri Krishna Arjun lifted Subhadra from Dwarika stayed here on the way. There marriage had also taken place here only. One Brahmin of nearby village conducted their marriage. Arjun gave his conch shell(Shankh) and Subhadra gave her ear ring as gift to Brahmin. That why the name this village is sankhvali Near Bhadrajun a small temple of Devi Subhadra is situated known by the namehumda Mata Bhadrajun is 93 Km. away from Jodhpur and during Riyasat time it landlord was one among first class 10 landlords of Jodhpur state. These 10 landlord were high in rank, position and respect from all other landlords. There were total 1891 landlords in Jodhpur 290 were called Tajimi landlords. Out of these 290 first 10 were known as iyasat and they were of Rathore Dan. The people of their place called them aja That why Bhadrajun landlord was also called aja The Jagir of Bhadrajun was given by Jodhpur king Sur Sing to Mukund das Rathore in 1652 Vikram Samvat (1596 A.D.). These people are Jodha Rathores descendants of Rao Maldev IInd son Ratan Ji. This Ratan Ji stone inscription could be seen today also near Neelkanth village famous temple of lord Shiva.
On the way to Raniwara & Sanchore approximately 125 Km away from district headquarter one big temple of 8th Century A.D. of lord Shiva is situated. It minute stone craft is competent enough not only in Rajasthan but also any of good middle ages temple of India It is said that approximately 1200 to 1300 years before there was grazing ground outside village for cattle. One day at a definite place milk of one cow drained out automatically. The master of the cow took it casually. But it became routine for 3-4 days. He kept vigil one evening and went astonished on seeing that cow went to that place itself and the milk flowed out of its breasts automatically. He told the instance to his family members and villagers. Senior members of village deliberated on the matter and decided to dig the place. They founded one Shiv ling out of it. The news spreaded like wild fire. People visited in large quantities to saw shiv linga. Then A huge temple was built on that place by peoples co-operation labour & money spent for several years temples of various gods & goddesses were also built around Shiv temple. One water reservoir was also built. For this reason only the place come to be known as Shiv Vaada or Shivala that in present day changed to Sevada.
Jagnath Mahadev is one of the two temples built by Rudal Devi, situated 20 Km away by road and 35 Km. by newly built paver road from jalore. It was found underneath a mound some years before when one new temple was already built some distance away. This temple is called Juna Mandir(Old Temple). The ancient temple is the one possibly constructed by Rudal Devi. During Khilji rulers this temple probably went uncared about and got buried under sand. New Shiva temple was established nearby. It is also possible that this temple was destroyed by attackers. Whatever might be the reason broken stone inscription in temple complex testifies to the fact that it was built here by Rudal Devi. Repairing of the temple again & again have left many stone & pillar inscriptions destroyed. Only those pillars are safe on whom idols were present thinking it to be sacred. Some pillars are used in construction in such a way that the written part is buried. Luckily one stone inscription of Rudal Devi is still safe from which the original situation is known.
In Bhadrajun Tehsil of jalore district on the verges of jalore, Pali & Barmer Neelkanth village is famous for Neelkanth Mahadev Temple. While entering the village one can see Shiva temple. It is situated on a high mound. Southern faced this Shiv temple attracts visitors of its minarets like pillars. It is said that here one widow lady saw a Shivlinga and she regularly started praying it. Envied by the strong faith of the lady here family members tried hard to bury it but it appeared again but again out of earth with the influx sand. In this way huge mound of sand emerged there. Taking it to be a Charismatic, Shivlinga temple was established there It is said to be a very old temple. rainy season & Shivratri devotees sets here in great numbers
Jahaz Temple Mandwala
Mandwala village is 20 Km. away from jalore district headquarter and 5 Km. from Bishangarh village situated at Samdari-Bhildi railway road. Here at the grave of Surishwar Maharaj one grand and unique temple is newly built on a ship. This temple not only attracts Jains but also other community people. In the month of Marhsrish (Krishna Paksha) 6th day Kanti Sagar Suriswar ji Maharaj entered this village, as soon as he entered he was struck with fever. Determining the frequency of his fever he called his favorite disciple Maniprabh sagar and told him that his last time has come. He died the next day on Saptami. The place where Maharaj Sagar Suriswarji was cremated disciple Maniprabh sagar ji built one ship structured like groove and places idol of his guru on to the ground floor. Hundreds of pilgrims from all over the state and country comes here for drowning themselves into divinity. There is also established idol of Shantinath Bhagwan in ship temple. There is facility of beautiful dinning hall and huge rest house. Telephone No. of temple office is 56107. This ship temple is of its own kind in whole India there is Jain temple,Dadabari and not also temple of Guru but also training centre for Saint & Saintesses.
Jain Pilgrim Bhandavpur
Bhandavpur that was previously a part of Mangalva Gram Panchayat now is itself a gram panchayat and is 65 Km. away from jalore District headquarter and 2 Km. from Sayla panchayat samiti towards sindhiri Bhinmal road it is situated Here there is huge Jaina temple 600 years old. The statue of Lord Mahavir Swami is 1200 years old here in this temple. Visitors from Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat visits here frequently to see the beauty of Lotus shaped temple where there is few faced idol of Rajendra Suri Ji is established made of white marble. Being an ancient temple it has been repaired three times. For first time it was repaired in 1359 Vikram Samvat, Secondly in 1654 Samvat and in 1988 for third time by Swetambar Jain Shri Sangh. The guru temple of Shri Rajendra Suri is also worth visiting. According to a local tradition it is said that during Vikram Samvat seventh century there was a town named Besala 10-15 Km. away from here. There were hundred of house of very prosperous Savetambar Bisa Oswal. In Besala now there are thousands of house of other community also. At that time in 813 Vikram Samvat Migsar on the day of Shukla Saptemi grand temple was laid foundation of with idol of Lord Mahavir220 rooms rest house and a huge dinning hall is run by the trust here. Fair is held 2 times in a year. Posh Shukla 7th to Guru Saptami and Chaitra Sudh thirteenth to full moon day for three days fair is held which is attended by people from various places & nearby town.
Ahore Jinalaya Jain Temple
20 km. away from District headquarter jalore on the way to jalore-Falna is situated Ahore Tehsil Jodhpur is 122 Km. from here and Falna is 55 Km. away. jalore is the nearest railway station. Ahore is a place of historical importance, religions and faith From starting rulers here felicitated Jain religion. Present landlord Yashwant Singhji gifted walking stick, tail for whishking flies and palanquin to Shrimad Rajendra Surishwarji Maharaj as respect. The Bawan Jinalay temple of Godi Parshavnath constructed in white marble was build by Shrimad Rajendra Surishwar Ji in 1936 Vikram Samvat Magh Shukla Dashmi. This jain temple is beautified by 52 lords. It is big and heart catching. There are five more temples worth visiting and two rest houses where Jain Saints & Saintess visits frequently. Dinning facility is commendable but lodging is only of middle class available. In Ahore old Jain literature pandulipis(manuscripts) are being kept in good shape.
Jain temple Bakra Road
Parshavnath temple near Bakra road railway station is becoming famous for its grandifice and artistic work and is on the very of getting status of Jaina pilgrimage. 30 Km. away from jalore, 7 Km. from Modra and 15 Km from Bagra it is connected to road directly. This temple was established in 6 Magh Sudhi 2054 Vikram Samvat(Dated 2 Feb.,1998). Every year on Posh Magh Shukla saptami big fair is held here on the birth & nirvana date of Gurudev Rajendra Surishwar Ji. Main temple is built 7 feet up from earth crest where it is the seat of Shri Parshavnath Bhagwan one the top and roof of temple there are big turrets where rounded wheels are engraved everywhere adding to the beauty of the building. It is an strong exempts of modern art facilities of fooding & lodging is quiet commendablely run by the trust Shri Thirtendra Surishwarji mark sangh.
Kirti Stambh & Nandishwar Deep Tirth jalore
India famed Nandishwar deep tirth is located in front of Collectorate office of jalore district Headquarter on the main road. In whole of India only seven temples of Nandishwar Deep are there and it is the biggest of all example of Modern art also. In main temple there are 52 houses of Lord and each god having four faces. In the Brahma region in the few corners are few faced Jain houses Southern to Nandishwar Deep temple in front of main entrance is 72 feet tall and 5 storeyed tower. From it every corner of the town can be seen. Build in white stone marble in the first & last story of this lower is the statue of Mahaveer Swami established.
Mosque of Malik Shah
In the centre of the spacious enclosure of the fort is the mosque of saint Malik Shah, which is said to be built by Allauddin Khilji.
Lohanagarh of Jaswantpura
70 Km. away from jalore, 40 Km. from Bhinmal and 50 Km. from Aburoad, Jaswantpura is the most greenous panchayat samiti area of jalore district. Situated in the valley of mountain its natural beauty is tremendous Temperature during summers remains comparatively Low. It is named after the ruler of Marwar (Jodhpur) Maharaja Jaswant Singh. Prior to 1947, it was the headquarters of the district by the same name. This area is rich in wild life. Tigers, boars, bears, monkeys etc strays into nearby villages so many times.
The Mosque Architecture
The mosques in jalore are among many such structures that found patronage from nobility. From the early 15th century onwards under the influence of the Mughal, architectural patronage was in fashion and many structures like the mosque at Merta, Hindaun and the Idgarh in Bairat were built by nobles. All these works except for the ones at jalore which was built on the Surat- Ajmer trade route were built in a region between Agra and Ajmer, an area where the Mughals reigned supreme.
The Jain Temples Attractions inside Fort
The structure that stands out the most among the dark fort walls and rocky surrounding is the Jain temple. Built in white marble this imposing structure in quite a sight. Other Jain temples in the fort are the Chaumukhi temple,the Shwetambara Jain temple (built by the Shwetambara sect) and a shrine dedicated to Parasnath (a Jain fordmaker) built near the Bal Pol, which is situated north west of the fort. A triple templededicated to Amba mata, Ashapuri and Hanuman (the monkey god) is also located within the fort premises.
Saint Jalindernath Maharaj Shrine
West of the fort is the shrine of Saint Jalindernath Maharaj. The name jalore has been derived from his. The origin of this divinity of Jalindernath� is unpredictable, it might have been imported from the Ganges or left behind by the Chauhanas. Some others believe that it is a "remnant of the foes of Alexander, driven by him from Multan" and use the caves of Jalinder in the vicinity as a proof of this. What ever the origin it is now been incorporated into the ally of indigenous deities.